Friday 5 September 2014

Teachers Day

My greetings to all teachers on Teachers Day !

I was myself a teacher in a village school near Allahabad from 1968 to 1970. I taught science and maths. My salary then was Rs. 80 per month basic and Rs. 40 dearness allowance, i.e. total Rs.120 per month.

Since I was a bachelor then this was sufficient for my needs. I lived in a kuchcha hut, and the school building too was kuchcha.  There were no pucca roads too near the village. There was no electricity in the village. I used to give free tuition to the village schoolboys in the night in the light of a lantern.

But all this was a long time back when I was a very young man ( I was born in 1946)and I remembered it only on realizing it was Teachers Day.

3 comments:

  1. "Gurur Brahma Gurur Vishnu
    Gurur Devo Maheshhwarah
    Guru Shakshat Para Brahma
    Tasmai Shri Guruve Namah"
    Thanks for your illuminating and thought provoking blogs sir. We are learning a lot from you. Happy Teachers Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring writing from such a Honorable soul. I only wish many read your FB and this blog sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was faculty of Gemology and diamond grading, I must say lots of patience is required to be a teacher.

    No future exists without a teacher.

    ReplyDelete